Thursday, December 15, 2011

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake




My daughter’s birthday is around the corner and I want to enjoy her day by baking a cake that all of us can eat. A food blog without a good chocolate cake is never complete. I have struggled with the right combinations for the flour to create a mixture that rises well without adding too much baking soda. Finally, I created a chocolate cake that was fluffy and delicious! The sugar is just right for me and always less for my daughter who does not seem to mind the different texture of the flours, so I add regular whipped cream on her servings to serve her rather sweet tooth!!

Ingredients

1 cup

Brown Rice Flour

½ cup

Tapioca Flour

½ cup

Quinoa Flour

½ cup

Organic Cocoa Powder

1 tsp

Baking soda

¼ tsp

Stevia

½ cup

Grape seed or any other vegetable oil

¾ cup

Agave nectar

2 tbsp

Flax seed mixed with 2 tbsp of warm water

½ cup

Chocolate or carob chips

¼ tsp

Xanthan Gum

Preparation

1) Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the Brown rice flour with tapioca flour and quinoa flour. Add the Cocoa powder, baking soda, stevia and Xanthan gum. Mix them well with a wooden sppon.

2) I use flax meal as a substitute for eggs. In a small bowl, mix golden or brown flax meal in warm water and create a guey like mixture.

3) Take another large bowl, and add the wet ingredients – grape seed oil, agave nectar, flax seed mixture. Use the electric blender and blend until mixed well.

4) Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, slowly, stirring as you go. Blend a little after all the flour mixture has been added. At this point add chocolate chips. I used carob chips for this recipe and loved it.

5) Grease a 8 inch baking dish and pour the mixture into the baking dish.

6) Preheat the oven at 350 deg and bake for 27 minutes.

7) Serve cooled, as you can see the cake disappeared at my friend's birthday we celebrated at my place before I could take a picture of the full cake J

Cool Fact

Grapeseed oil is excellent for high temperature cooking. The oil does not burn when heated at high temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment